If you have chosen WordPress as your CMS, then there are certain things that you need to learn about WordPress optimization, including how you can optimize the content management system. WordPress is probably one of the most user-friendly platforms for bloggers today because it generally offers you everything that you would ever need. However, there is one negative aspect about WordPress, which you will have to fix by yourself, and that is the poor permalinks or URL settings in the platform.
Removing default ugliness
If you are using the default WordPress URL, you will realize that it is not that SEO-friendly and there are minor issues that you will have to fix yourself. The first issue is with the ugly and unattractive overall design, and that is what we teach you how to fix and how to make the URL structure more SEO-friendly. You need to make your URL theme more predictable and friendly, but you also need it to be optimized, if you are looking to get more traffic on your page. For that reason, you will have to do the following:
Planning the structure for WordPress Optimization
The ideal URL structure that you should be using on WordPress should be to-the-point, user-friendly, descriptive, semantic and intuitive. In order to do that, you will have to ensure that you properly plan the URL structure. It will seem as if you are making your first email ID again, but once you get past the planning phase, you will realize that your WordPress URL is more detailed and much more optimized. There are categories assigned in the platform, and if you are going to be posting more than one blog post, then you should take advantage of the multiple category option on WordPress.
Include the date
This is trickier than it looks, since it is not going to be easy to add dates in your URL. The main problem that you will face is that you will not be able to use the URL again, since you will have to change the date again. However, there are lots of benefits that you can take advantage of when you choose to include the date of the URL on WordPress. Some of them are as follows:
- The users should find blog posts a lot easier, since they will be able to sort them by the day, month or the year.
- You will be able to provide breaking news, and it will benefit you, since Google will see it as fresh content on your website.
Unfortunately there are some disadvantages for adding the date to your URL as well. Here they are:
- The article that you choose to upload may be cool and the content may be relevant to your customers, but the date can make your exceptional content obsolete.
- You will need to make a new URL in order to update your blog post, and this way you will lose value in your links. You may keep the old URL, but once the post starts to get old, it will send a negative image to your users and especially to Google.
Category & Postname
You can use this option to make your tag and come up with something cool, which will look good on your website. A lot of people use the categories option offered to them in WordPress and there are positives and negatives for you, if you choose to use them as well. Here is what you need to know about them:
- The search engines and the users will be able to find the blog posts easily
- Google will optimize your pages according to the categories that they belong to
- It will allow your users to navigate through your content easily
- It will do wonders for your web analytics as well
- If you have long category names it may not be the best option
- Having too many categories can be off-putting for your users
- It will increase the length of your URLs
It is important that you understand the importance of having the right URLs when you are using WordPress. Just make sure that you understand how they work and how your users will be influenced with your URLs as well.